Sunday 19 September 2010

Giving Up The Ciggies


A packet of Lambert & Butler, yesterday.

You do these things with all the best intentions in mind. Not only am I giving up smoking but I am also giving up caffeine, all this because I'll turn 40 in six days time and felt the need to make some kind of gesture towards preserving my health. I'm 22 hours into this self-abusive punishment.

It's amazing. What would I give right now for a cigarette and a cup of coffee. Sitting here with a mug of 'green tea' trying to keep busy, to keep my mind away from thoughts of cigarettes and lovely coffee. Is it all worth it? Is it worth putting myself through this right now when I know very well that I am going to ultimately 'give up' with my efforts. I mean, Jesus, I'm going to be 40 on Friday, am I really going to deny myself a ciggie on me birthday? Or a cup of coffee even? No, of course I'm not.

Great win for Vale yesterday at Macclesfield. Second in the table now, joint leaders really - same points as Shrewsbury, it's just 'goals scored' that divides us. Accrington Stanley are coming next Saturday, and although they seem to be doing alright we have to beat them. Accy Stan are precisely the kind of team we need to be hammering at Vale Park.

Then next up it's Shrewsbury Town at Vale Park - Tuesday 28th September - should be an amazing game! And I won't be there... Can't really make midweek games 'cos of work and travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment